5/01/2011

What We're Reading


Here are a few of the books Kevin and I are currently reading:

In Their Own Voices: Transracial Adoptees Tell Their Stories
by Rita J. Simon (Author), Rhonda M. Roorda (Author)
"This book is the story of every person who has lived in an environment in which he or she didn't quite fit.... Yet, while the stories in the book are universal, they are also deeply personal and incredibly touching. You cannot read this book without being changed." -- Lifelines

Dear Birthmother
by Kathleen Silber (Author), Phyllis Speedlin (Author)
Gently provocative, warm and convincing, this open adoption guide includes actual letters between adoptive parents and birthparents, and between the latter and the children they have.

I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla: Raising Healthy Black and Biracial Children in a Race-Conscious World: A Guide for Parents and Teachers
by Marguerite A. Wright (Author)
"This book is useful for all parents who want their children to grow up with healthy attitudes in a world that uses race to separate human beings. . . . A worthwhile read." — Educational Leadership

With wisdom and compassion, I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla spells out how to educate black and biracial children about race, while preserving their innate resilience and optimism--the birthright of all children.

Launching a Baby's Adoption: Practical Strategies for Parents and Professionals
by Patricia Irwin Johnston (Author)
Launching A Baby's Adoption incorporates anecdotal material solicited from adoptive parents and professionals throughout North America. Launching a Baby's Adoption fills the need of single and coupled parents seeking to adopt for information that can assist them in practical ways to bring a baby into their families and into their lives. Launching A Baby's Adoption is a valuable addition to the parenting collections of community libraries and is "must" reading for anyone seeking adoption as a means to enhancing their family life. -- Midwest Book Review

I find that the concept of open adoption is new to some people, as may be the term transracial adoption.

I love this link on Positive Adoption Language from Adoptive Families, my new, favorite webiste and magazine.

Here are some examples of Positive Adoption Language:

2 comments:

  1. Interestingly enough, I was JUST going to ask if you had read 'In Their Own Voices'. It helped me to the core.

    Also, if you are seriously considering transracial adoption, which we are, I have found john raible to be an amazing helpful source of information. He has a 'get started' page on his website with TONS of good book and movie information. He himself was a transracial adoptee and works for adoptee rights and ethical adoption. His stuff is hard to swallow, but really good. I wish we lived closer to sit and talk about this stuff. I've been saying 'amen' to everything you've posted so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Alaina! I'll check out John Raible's work. And I agree, i would LOVE to talk about this with you. I'll call you sometime soon. :)

    ReplyDelete