4/30/2011

Things People Say #1

Kevin and I are waiting for a mom to choose our family to make an adoption plan for her child. We have chosen open, domestic adoption.

We're reading, A TON, on adoption, transracial adoption, birthmothers, open adoption, and more. I love learning. I love how eye-opening, mind-blowing and transforming this is.

This last week, an otherwise educated coworker asked me: "Open adoption? What if she's a crack whore?"

My response: [Insert significant indignation here.] "The agencies we're working with have noticed that not a lot of crack whores are making birth plans for their children."

WTF?

And if a person with an addiction did choose to make a birth plan for his/her child, why would that be horrific?

Why do some people pigeonhole and villify birthmothers?

All I can say is: Please ask questions; I love to talk about this. But watch out. This may be the mother of our baby you're talking about!

2 comments:

  1. People like that really bother me. People in our family have said to me, 'Why would you want to bring someone who looks different into our family?' I cursed one time when someone said that, but I have at least learned to control my temper.

    ReplyDelete